Friday, September 27, 2013

Historic Barn Types: from UVM


Because farmers have traditionally remodeled or combined barns over the years to suit their needs and tastes, it is often a challenge to recognize these basic types today.  There are also other types of historic barns and specialty outbuildings found on many Vermont farms.  Consider this guide a starting point.

English Barns (before the 1770s to 1900s)


Vermont's early farmers built their barns based on a traditional barn design that the original colonists brought with them from England. The basic design remained popular for smaller barns throughout the nineteenth century.  Measuring about thirty feet by forty feet with a pair of large, hinged wagon doors on the long side and unpainted vertical boards on the walls, the English barn usually stood on a level site without a basement.  Inside these barns were divided into a center drive and threshing floor (onto which the pair of doors open) with hay and grain storage on one side and animal stables on the other. 

Yankee Barn (1820s to 1870s)


By the mid-1800s, many farmers adopted a new design for their barns which allowed them to house up to ten cows and shifted the main entrance to the gable end.  Inside the center drive floor followed the ridge of the roof with cow stables in a row on one side and hay storage on the other.  Usually built into a hillside so that manure could be pushed into and stored in a basement below, these barns could be expanded by adding additional bays to the rear.  To reduce winter drafts, farmers rejected traditional vertical board siding in favor of tighter board-and-batten, clapboard or shingle sheathings.  They soon found that rooftop ventilators were needed for fresh air and windows for light.  

Sheep Barn (1820s to 1870s)


Prior to the era of dairying, sheep were the most widespread livestock raised on Vermont farms. Older barns were either adapted to shelter sheep or new barns were built.  These barns typically consist of two levels and may be built into a bank. Sheep were housed on ground floor which opened to a fenced pasture with a southern exposure.

Late Bank Barns (1870s to 1900s)


Those farmers specializing in dairying soon needed space for more than ten cows, and many built huge multi-storied bank barns to house cattle and other livestock and to store winter forage and grain for them.  At the uphill gable end, a covered bridge or "high-drive" often provided access for wagons to the upper hayloft.  Cow stables with rows of wooden stanchions are in the story below, with manure stored in the basement.  Most late bank barns are sheathed with clapboards and  have elaborate wooden ventilator cupolas, often topped by decorative weathervanes.
Horse /Carriage Barns (1850s to 1910s)


In addition to the main barn, many farms also utilized a number of supporting barns and outbuildings. The horse or carriage barn is one such example. Though earlier examples exist horse or carriage barns became increasingly popular during 1860’s and 1870’s as horses replaced oxen on farms.  Many of these barns contain a granary for storing feed and cupola to increase ventilation.  Other elements common to the horse or carriage barn is the presence of small windows indicating stalls, gable entrance with hay door in upper floor, and greater level of architectural embellishment as most of these barns were built by more affluent farmers. 

Ground Stable Barns (1910s to 1950s)


After 1910 government health regulations for the production and handling of fluid milk required new barn designs.  Agricultural college experiment stations promoted the gambrel-roofed, ground stable barn design, which was widely adopted throughout the country.  These barns housed cows on a washable concrete floor in steel pipe stanchions at ground level.  The gambrel roof made an ample hayloft and could be erected with pre-fabricated trusses. Ducts from steel ventilators atop the roof provided fresh air for the cows, and long rows of small windows gave light to the stable area.  A small, milk house was usually attached to the building.

Kevin Powers Barn, 1962

High Ridge Road, ground stable barn, no public access. Concrete foundation, post and beam framing, barn board siding. Gable roof of wood with sheet metal. Milkhouse. Entry at gable front. 100 by 30.

Located across from Pat Powers home. Barn has attached hay barn and milkhouse. Built by brothers Russell and Willard Powers as the main barn for a milking operation. Has been used on and off since construction. [Note from Beth: Construction probably coincided with the new requirement of concrete floors for dairy barns, circa 1962.]

Weaver-Rudd Barn, 1950s

Simpson Brook Road. Ground stable barn, no public access, dairying. Built in early 1950s. Concrete foundation, stud construction, metal exterior siding with shingle appearance, gambrel rood of wood with sheet metal, entrance at gable front, about 60 by 30.

Most recently used as rental storage space. Was built in the early 1950s as the new dairy barn, in the barnyard of the original high-drive barn and stable ell. Jasper Rudd was the owner and partnered with his son Frederick to run a dairy operation of about 60 head, of which 34 were milkers. Frederick owned the 265-acre farm after Jasper, until 1973. The next owners, Aubrey and Simone Weaver, used the barn as storage space and did not dairy farm. Some acreage has been sold as farmland and residential. After the Weavers, the house burned down in April 2009.

Pleasant Valley Farm, Built 1950-1951

Dave Morrison: An old map in the Davies Memorial Library says this farm was settled in 1800 by E. Freeman. Later in the 1800s it was known as the Charles Ross place. Raymond Morrison bought the farm in 1921 or 1922. At that time, there was an "Early Bank Barn" close to the road, with the hay floor at road level. Cattle level was below and manure level below that. Around 1950, a section of the cattle floor gave way, and the milkers died, hung in their stantions.  The "new" stable (present now) was built at this time with the "old" barn used for hay storage and calves. The new barn has tie-ups for 20+ milkers, 10 heifers, a bull pen, and stalls for 3 work horses. Ray Morrison farmed there with horses until the mid 1960s (he did have an old John Deere tractor toward the end). The subsequent owners, John and Barbara Hird, had the "old" barn taken down. Portions of the farm are still used for hay and corn by the Bullock family.

Town history, p. 19: Capt. Elijah Freeman was one of the first pioneers of Waterford, having come in 1796. His sons were Aaron, Elijah, Arad, and Farwell. He bought three lots of land and gave one to each of his boys, except Farwell. Town history, p. 74: Charles Ross was a survivor of Andersonville Prison during the Civil War. Town history p. 44: The first school in this district was taught in John Grow's dwelling house on the farm where Raymond Morrison now lives. The first school house was built of logs and near Mr. Grow's house.

Powers-Gillott Barn, 1948

Old County Road. Dairy barn built in 1948 by Willard Powers and used in dairying through the 1950s. Now used for goats. No public access. Concrete foundation, stud construction, gable roof of metal with sheet metal. 30 by 50. Entrance on eaves side. 

Sequence of owners: Powers, Johnson, Kimball, Gillott (cheesemaker).

Lawrence-Lund Carriage Barn, 1920s?

Lawrence Road. Wagon shed/carriage barn, with no public access. Stone foundation, post and beam frame, with barn board siding. Shed roof of wood with sheet metal; entrance on eaves side.

Stone foundation is on side away from road, only. Current owner removed the original interior carriage bays.

Phone interview by Helen Chantal Pike on 4/23/2013 with 82-year-old current owner Milton (Milt) Lund: structure "may have been built by Abbott Lawrence of Lawrence Road. No relation to Charlie Lawrence.

Milt calls it a "wagon shed" because the side away from the road used to be open in order to garage wagons and other horse-drawn farm equipment. He says he's put doors on to close up that side. Only the road side has the stone foundation.""

1940 Census shows Abbott Lawrence age 41, farmer, with mother Victoria (age 79) living with him. records further show Abbott's father as Victor, born 1849; Victor's parents were Orville Lawrence (1823-1907) and Olive G. Bingham (1829-1916). Orville is of some note: "Orville Lawrence by Steele's Store 1890s. Orville was a "town character" who had made a fortune on Wall Street in the late 1860s as the partner of Russell Sage, but lost it all in the Panic of 1873. He came back to Waterford to farm. Orville was quick-witted and outspoken, and many entertaining sorties have been told about him. - St. Johnsbury, Vermont By Claire Dunne Johnson"

Randy Bedard Barn, 1911

Mad Brook Road; no public access. Stone foundation, post and beam frame, barn board siding. Gable roof of wood with sheet metal. Entrance in gable front. Looks like one older barn with a newer portion to make it longer. Property now held by a trust.

A&T Powers reports this: Farm was willed to the current owner (a trust) by Randy Bedard, who had no family. Located near dirt road in unused fields.

Lee Farm, Barn Built 1911

Lee Road, off Route 18, near Stiles Pond. The Lee Farm includes a set of Waterford, Vermont, farm structures already documented in a 1982 National Register of Historic Places nomination written by Deborah Noble. The nomination can be found here:

From the nomination:

The large farm complex alludes in its relative grandeur to the early days of what was then known as Waterford Hollow, when that village was formerly of "considerable importance, having a church, store, hotel, oil-mills and saw mill" and when the proximity of Stiles Pond "rendered the locality a pleasant summer retreat."(8) The Stiles family, who settled nearby, were developers of the various mills at the outlet of the pond. After business passed to nearby East St. Johnsbury and Concord, the village declined until now all that is left is the nearby cemetery and several farms bypassed by the newly constructed Interstate 93.

More details to come.

West View Farm: Barn 1903

Hastings Road. Property listed on the National Register of Historic Places; multiple farm-related structures. Round barn, no access. Stone foundation, post and beam frame, wood shingle sideng, asphalt shingles on roof, high drive, cupola, silo, entrance at gable front. About 80 feet across.

Elinor Levy, current owner: Lambert Packard was the architect. "Silo" Quimby was the builder. The barn was commissioned by the Hastings family.

The following is from the National Register nomination:  The barn is a three-level, 80 foot diameter, perfectly round wood frame structure with an 18 foot diameter center silo. The upper and lower levels are column free, which provides uninterrupted spaces. (for full dimensions of the barn, see the accompanying drawings.)

The exterior of the barn is wood shingled. At the upper level there are 14 fixed three over three windows located in the center of the 16 roof planes. The middle level has 12 double-hung six over six windows centered on the roof planes. There are nine fixed three over three windows at ground level. The windows have a flush exterior wood casing. Vent holes are located to the left of every other window on the upper level. Steel rings are also placed to the left of every other window on this level for the purpose of attaching scaffolding. There is a projected wood eaves leading to a roof covered with asphalt shingles. The radiating roof eaves have a flat wood board fascia below. At the peak of the roof is an octagonal cupola with rectangular wood louvers. Above is a weathervane comprised of a tapered base with a ball, rod and pivoting vane in the form of an ornate arrow.

Access to the upper level at the southeast elevation is through a gable framed entrance with a sloped floor which is preceded by an earth ramp with stone retaining walls. A fixed three over three window is centered above the double entrance doors.

At the northeast elevation of the barn there is an enclosed cattle ramp which extends from the first to the second level. It has a shed roof covered with wood shingles. The wood frame walls are sheathed with horizontal planking, and it is wood shingled in conformity with the remainder of the barn. Where it meets the second level, the ramp becomes a platform, with two fixed three over three windows centered on the platform. A storage area is located beneath the ramp with a passage door on the ground floor of the northeast side. An additional outside entry to the middle level is through a shed roof passageway on the southeast elevation.

The entrance to the ground floor is through a pair of wood plank doors on the east and west elevations. At the northeast elevation there is also a single door pedestrian entrance to the storage area below the second level front entrance to the barn.

At the center of the dirt floor ground level there is a wood framed silo with a stone base. The silo is double planked with half inch thick horizontal boards on each side of the 2x4 wood studs.

The ground level is most striking for the absence of center posts supporting the second level. Instead, there are 16 radiating inverted king trusses. They are comprised of a wood top cord with a steel rod bottom member on each side. The rods have threaded ends and extend back to the end of the top cord member where it is held with a loop and pin. A steel plate with a wood block supports a center wood ring beam.

There is a wood column in the exterior wall below each truss. The remainder of the exterior wall consists of exposed wood studs at two feet on center. The second floor framing bays are composed of two radiating beams at the inner ring, creating three equal spaces between the trusses. The outer ring has three radiating beams, creating four equal spaces between the trusses.

The ground level has an interior access door to a storage room which is located below the sloped wagon entrance to the upper level. The room has a door and fixed three over three window to the exterior, and a wood stair to the creamery above it.

The middle level is used for cattle. The floor has nine continuous five foot wide passageways at the perimeter. There are 50 cow stalls, three horse stalls, a pen and an open area surrounding the center silo. An access door is located at the northwest side. 

Dream Catcher (Caplan)/Nutter Barn, 1903

Duck Pond Road, West Waterford region. Yankee barn, access by request with owner, concrete foundation, stud construction, shiplap siding, gambrel roof of wood with sheet metal, high drive, gable front entrance, 90 by 35.

Ground floor in use as hayloft; second and third floors are open and rented out for events like weddings. Horses are in new building (~7 years old) near road.

Designer Frank C. Bullock was involved in building a gambrel-style barn fo the Blodgett farm that burned down in the early 21st century (from Town Report). This barn had been located about 1.5 to 2 miles from the current Dream Catcher barn. Also known as the Nutter farm.

Clarence Young–Boisvert Barn, 1902

Old County Road, Yankee barn, access restricted (contact owner). Stone foundation, post and beam framing, barn board siding, mansard roof of wood with wood shingles and sheet metal. High drive. Entrance in gable front. 100 by 50. Sawn frame.

Featured in 1964 Waterford Town Report. Particularly significant because etehre is documentary evidence for the barn's design and construction by local barnwright Fred C. Bullock, as well as for the process of consturction (choice of local mill used for lumber; photos of barn raising).

Brown-Cushing Barn, ~1900

Route 18, horse barn, now used for garage and storage. Concrete foundation, post and beam framing, barn board siding, gable roof of wood with corrugated metal, entrance at gable front, 50 by 40.

This is the red barn by the yellow farmhouse, close to the Interstate 93 overpass. Owned in 19th century by Elisha (b. 1852; his great-grandfather was William Brown, an 1800 settler of Waterford) and wife Elisa Kinne Brown. Owned in 20th century by Cushing family; Mr. Cushing (grandfather of current resident Kathy Aucoin) sold his Lofty Maple Farm on the Shadow Lake Road and bought this.

Patricia Powers Barn, ~1890

High Ridge Road, English barn, access with request to owner. Stone foundation, post and beam frame, barn board siding, gable roof of wood with sheet metal. Milkhouse. Entry on eaves side.

Moved in 1945 as original location in Upper Waterford was flooded by creation of Moore Dam on Connecticut River. Stable and milkhouse were added in new location (1945-1950?).

A&T Powers interview of Patricia Powers: Barn was built in Upper Waterford (now under Moore Dam Reservoir) at an unknown date. Wallace family sold property to New England Power around 1945, dismantled and reassembled barn at its current location, and added the milkhouse and stable after the move.

Added details: Wallace farm belonged to Flora B. Wallace; for details of end of village of Upper Waterford see:

Church-Powers-Piper-Wajda Barn, ~1890, and Barrett Sugarhouse

Lower Waterford Road, Yankee barn, no public access. Stone foundation, post and beam frame with barn board siding, gable roof of wood with corrugated metal. High drive. Entrance in gable from. About 90 by 45.

Barn used for household storage 2013. Sugarhouse built circa 1960 by Ken Barrett who owned farm after Powers. Forest encroaching.

Research by Helen Chantal Pike and Dave Morrison, interviewing residents: Lyman Church was original farmer here; he married daughter of Claude Davison up the road. The couple's only child, daughter Stella, married Ernest Powers (third cousin of Upper Waterford Powers). Stella became Town Clerk. Next owner was Ken Barrett, who built the sugarhouse located in brush behind barn. Next owner William Piper shored up posts with concrete blocks; never farmed property but may have kept horses.

Town history indicates farm was first cleared and settled by Zenas Goss, then known as the Claudius Davison farm.

Koeppel-Bullock-Hale-Bonnett Barn, 1890?

Lower Waterford Road. Yankee barn, access by request to owner. Stone and concrete foundation, post and beam fram with barn board siding, gable roof of wood with corrugated metal, high drive, entry in gable front. 90 by 50. Probably a  Frank C. Bullock design.

Dave Morrison recalls a 20th-century owner raising sheep in the barn.

Dave Morrison: At some time in the 1800s, this was known as the Hale Farm. During the middle part of the 1900s it was the Joseph Bonnett Sr. farm.

Town history, p. 87: THE HALE FAMILY. Edward E., Joseph, and Abbie were descendants of John Hale. Edward and Abbie lived and died on the Hale farm, which has been in the family for over a century. Edward was known as a man of sterling character, upright and square in all dealings with mankind. He and his sister both were known as honest, consistent farm people, plodding along in a quiet, unostentatious manner. They were regular attendants and good workers in the church. They never married. Joseph married and has one daughter [Grace, 1883-1946] who is the only survivor. She married Samuel Bonnett [1880-1956] of St. Johnsbury and lives there. They have a son Joseph [BK note: This would be Joseph Bonnett Sr., 1907-1989], who lives on the Abial Richardson farm." [material in square brackets added from research]

Calvin Brown–Frank Bullock Barn, ~1890

Lower Waterford Road, English barn, access by request to owner, brick foundation, post and beam frame with barn board siding, gable roof of wood with corrugated metal, about 80 by 30, entry on eaves side.

Foundation is concrete piers. Sugarhouse on this property was moved from Henry Davison farm up the road behind current home of Clayt Bullock.

Noted by Dave Morrison and Helen Chantal Pike: Earliest known owner was Calvin Brown, brother to Claude or Claudius. Darham cows. Brown sold to "Luce" Freeman who sold to Fred C. Bullock, barn designer. Fred's grandson Fred Bullock filled in around the barn on the river side so customers could drive their vehicles in for service. His cousin Jerry (Gerald) kept farm equipment in the other half of the barn.

Town history, p. 83: Calvin Brown, son of Daniel, was born in Waterford in 1810. He married Susan Miles, daughter of Dr. Abner Miles. ... He reared seven children. [Their daughter] Diantha married Lorenzo Freeman and lived on the home place.

Davison–George Bullock Barn, 1880s

English barn, access by request to owner. Brick foundation, post and beam frame, barn board siding, gable roof of wood with corrugated metal, entry on eaves side, 80 by 30. Built in presumably 1880s; remodeled in about 1896; concrete foundation added in 1940s. Original barn is now surrounded by abutting barn built in 1964 by George Bullock. Original barn fronts Lower Waterford Road and has two sections, of which the older section is the western half. Davison sugarhouse was moved up the road to the Calvin Brown farm.

Based on oral history collected by Helen Chantal Pike and Dave Morrison: The barn may date to 1850 or earlier. The property was owned by Henry Davison who had four daughters; one married barn designer Fred C. Bullock. This couple "lost" the farm. Next owner was G. M. Sweatt. Next owner was Frank Bullock, son of Fred C., the barn designer. His son George succeeded him. Clayton Bullock, George's son, runs the farm today, maybe with his cousin. Henry also had brother Claude, whose farm was where Clayt Bullock bags silage.

Town history, pp. 22-23: Rev. Silas Davison moved into Waterford in 1796, and commenced on the Harvey Holbrook Farm. [Sold it to town clerk Grows, while S.D. held mortgage back on it; farm failed, Davison lost all, then bought back 100 acres and son Henry C. worked it; Henry C. had sons Claudius and Henry, as mentioned in oral history.]

Keith Powers Barn, 1886

Ground stable barn with chicken coop, garage, milkhouse, sugarhouse, wagon shed, woodshed. No public access. Was in use for dairying. Built 1886 and modified in the 1950s. Concrete foundation with stud construction frame, covered with barn boards. Gable roof of wood covered with sheet metal. High drive, cupola. Entrance in eaves side.

The Pike Homestead, settled in 1791 on road 46 at the corner of road 47 (now Old Couty Road and Shadow Lake Road), was owned by Frank W. Brown and Jennie (Miller) Brown, his wife, in 1877. In 1919 they sold to Glenn Gilbert Powers and Eva (Page) Powers (parents of Geneva Powers Wright, author of this history). The new barn built in 1886 replaced the old one, which Mr. Brown tore down. It had a full basement used for the manure pit, a stable for cattle, one for horses, a center feed floor, and ample hayloft/bays for hay, and up the high drive wagons were housed between the hay storage. Mr. Powers raised sheep, pigs, and chickens and made maple syrup. After electricity arrived about 1942, a milkhouse was built. Prior to that, a battery-powered generator had been used for electric lights, replacing kerosene lanterns.  Mrs. Wright remembers a De Laval cream separator used during the butter-making years; she used to wrap butter in half-pound or one-pound packages.  Seven children in the Powers family were raised here, some born at home. The farm ownership passed to son Leland Powers and then his son Keith Powers.

More history may be found in County Gazetteer and Directory—Caledonia and Essex 1761–1887 by Hamilton Child, and Successful Vermonters by William N. Jaffrey (Barre, VT, 1904).

Hastings-Thomas Barn, 1876

Early Bank Barn built around 1876 with silo added 1917 and stable 1950s. Stone foundation, post and beam frame, barn board siding, gable roof of wood with wood shingle and then sheet metal, accessible by request to owner, in farm use now. Gable front entrance. About 120 by 60 plus 20 for stable.

In continuous use since 1876; barn is actually older than house. Barn includes both hand-hewn and sawn beams and round log beams. Large barn for the area. Original 400-acre lot was split up in the 1970s when Pliny Page had to sell out. Dr. Thomas (current owner’s father) used cables to pull the back of the barn together. Currently 135 acres in use for beef cows, chickens, goats, haying. Owners: late 1800s-early 1900s Steven Hastings; until late 1930s Frank Hastings; late 1930s to World War II Leo Donna; WW II to 1950s Gillander; 1950s-1970s Pliny Page; 1975 to now, Dr. Thomas and then current owners. Silo built in 1917, “Natco Imperishable Silo” from the National Fireproofing Co., Pittsburgh, PA. Silo developed problems after blasting for Interstate 91 occurred over the hill behind barn. Milkhouse now incorporated into the stable built to comply with 1950s milking laws.

Green-Remick-Florio Barn, ~1857

English barn, stone foundation, restricted access, barn board siding, post and beam frame, gable roof, wood roof covered with corrugated metal, entrance in gable front, footprint about 120 by 45. Sugarhouse, springhouse, shed, and icehouse also on property.

Teachers at the neighboring Green School (named for the Green family, farm owners) usually boarded at the farmhouse. In the farm's earliest years, several of the seven Green sons married teachers as a result. Teacher spouses also abound in the Remick family (later owners), and today the farm owner is a retired teaching librarian (Waterford School). The Remick family continues to visit, sharing photographs from their years of farming there.

Significance comes from (1) the unusual double-barn construction, (2) the early date compared to other town barns still standing, (3) construction presumed by the son of early-settling family, (4) overall large footprint of barns plus fenced yard, (5) first milking parlor in town, (6) evidence of multiple types of farm use since 1857. This big double barn at the corner of Remick Road and Green School Road was probably built by Lorenzo Green around 1857. Lorenzo, born about 1823, was the sone of Eli Green (1783-1860) and Lucinda (Graves) Green (1792-1879). He married Elizabeth J. Senter in 1853. His double barn consists of two gable-roofed barns that meet at a right angle. Records show that in 1887 the farm included 290 acres, 42,000 maple trees, 12 cows, and 18 head of other stock. By the turn of the century, the barns became part of Rufus Walter Remick's farm, just down the road from his father Walter Bowman Remick (born 1820 in Scotland, arrived in US before 1850, died 1899 in Waterford). Rufus Remick operated a dairy farm with a specialty in butter, sold locally. In the mid 1950s, under pressure of changing farm standards, particularly the requirement for a bulk milk cooling tank system, the farm ceased active dairying. However, horses and beef cows occupied the barn after that, through subsequent owner families Peterson and Wark; the current owner, M. Florio, bought the property with her family in 1985 and raised beef cows, sheep, chickens, and pigs in the barns. In addition to the two barns and the fenced barnyard, other agricultural structures on the property include a two-story shed where meat used to be stored in winter; a small icehouse; and the remains of a sugarhouse; plus the farmhouse. Gravity-fed spring water and electricity still serve the barns.

D. R. Heath Barn, ~1850

English barn, restricted access, post and beam frame with barn board siding, gable roof of wood covered with corrugated metal, entrance at front, stall windows; diamond-shape window on top floor. Long windows lengthwise on second floor on front (west side) and south side. No glass in windows now, but openings are still there.

Deeds go back to 1850. Barn housed chickens on second floor and horses on first floor. Horses were work horses named Molly and Chub. Chew marks from horses still on wood. Current owner Donna Rae Heath has a copy of 1948 Conservation/Business Plan prepared by USDA Soil Conservation Service. Foundation sills replaced in 2009. Barn boards on sides are thinning. Nails are Type A and Type B per Field Guide to New England Barns.

Locust Grove Farm, Small Barn, 1850

Locust Grove Farm, Small Barn, 1850

English Barn, no public access, entrance on long side, post and beam frame with barn board siding, shed roof of wood covered with sheet metal, hand-hewn beams, sliding barn door, on regularly flooded field.

May be Waterford's oldest standing barn. Located on riverside field, wet ground. Most recently used for hay storage. No longer in use. At rear of Pateneaude (Locust Grove) Farm of East St. Johnsbury, but this structure is actually in Waterford.

Hovey Barn, Date Unknown, Farm Dates to 1827

The Hovey Place, 3517 Duck Pond Rd, West Waterford region

Yankee barn, agricultural use, public access by request, stone foundation with post and beam framing, barn board siding, gable roof, wood roof covered with corrugated metal, high drive, entrance at gable front, approx. 90 by 40.

Sign out front says “The Hovey Place 1827” but this barn is probably late 1800s. House may have been built around 1820 by Asa and William Hovey. There was also a granary when the property was surveyed in 1980 by historian Allen D. Hodgdon.